Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'm Becoming Hopeful

Beginning our series "Industry Checks & Balances" this month in the May Edition of The Mortgageland Journal - titled The 3 Legged Stool (the story of what a good loan approval credit decision is all about), my mind's been exploring several sectors I plan on speaking to in future issues. As I've been focusing on these topics, I keep getting reminded about the many positive signs I see each day too.

In addition to a wide range of industry publications I read regularly, for more than 8 years, I have been a religious reader of at least a half dozen industry discussion boards, some of you know I have also participated in posting to many of them as well. Behind this activity of mine, I have been able to suppliment what I have learned directly from current and past students of Secret! U - since these boards support many thousands of fresh remarks/questions, thoughts, etc. all about what people on the street are thinking and doing. The result of this research of mine, is I have been able to keep a 'fresh and well rounded view' on the true nature of what's happening, far more than a narrow view from only our students.

Lately I have noted a significant increase in sound attitudes from many many posters, they're beginning to display the sort of mind-set which I know to be the one they must have to continue and have a long and successful career in the industry. Previously, far too many of them were seriously ignorant questions (scared me about the level of brains their bosses had/or should I say didn't have) and remarks about their vision of their own job activities, and the industry as a whole. The one that I really have gotten a big kick out of is when someone would add ... "... there are no stupid questions ...." (because their surely are!) I would be laughing out loud normally at that point. But today, most of these are (finally) gone, and what's we're left with are thoughtful and knowledgable people! THAT'S GREAT NEWS. (translated: It looks like most of the riff-raff are gone).

AND, for those of you that know me, you know I LOVE to help people who want to learn and grow, I've always been attracted to that type of employee, student, client, biz associate. So, I'm getting exicited about the near term future of our industry and the fine people that appear to be the ones left standing!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta hand it to you, peter. You are the last one standing. Some would call that winning by default. I would call it winning by attrition...

I remember back in the day watching you spar on the various forums. It was as funny as it was sad. After a while, the name SECRET became synonymous with Yoda (the Guru Jedi Master from Start Wars). A lot of guys refused to listen to what you had to say. Me personally, I didn't want to believe it. But at the end of the day, when, I think all know how the story ended.

For a lot of us who felt the tremors (I didn't like the winds the winds were blowing and so I got out), the desire to take a shot is quickly tempered by the sobering events in the last months. I think they call that once bitten twice shy...

leo

11:04 AM  
Blogger Secret! said...

Thanks again leo, and yep engaging many of those snot-nosed small-time chumps did have it's amusement factors, to that I agree.

I never wanted to retreat, even when the numbers against my thinking were often overwhelming, since I knew the outcome (seen history repeat itself before), and was trying all I could to influence events. Ya know, to a small degree, I know I did, in those discussion boards (and still even today), due to the private e-mail's I've gotten over the years.

My goal is/was never to make it about me, as a passionate industry advocate (which I guess they never saw one before) I wanted to infect them with apropriate Ethics and Integrity values, 'cause those are what make it over time ... today I DO see a lot of it in a positive way out there ... I see hope! and that pleases me to death.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

sitemap